Something you never knew you wondered...

So...Ghosts. As you know if you have read tip the last book, when a witch or wizard dies, they can become a ghost if they have unfinished business in the physical world. We know what that unfinished business was for all the ghosts in Hogwarts, except for one. Moaning Myrtle, yeah, the house ghosts, yeah...But not Professor Binns.Everyone says that, one night while asleep in front of the staff room fire, he fell died and simply woke up again in the morning to teach. We know, though, that that isn't how one becomes a ghost. So, my question is: what did he have to live for? He had no special relationships with students. He didn't have a family. All he did was eat, sleep, and plan boring lessons- when he wasn't giving those lessons. Nobody has ever thought to ask this before, but what did he have to live for? Thoughts?
So...Ghosts. As you know if you have read tip the last book, when a witch or wizard dies, they can become a ghost if they have unfinished business in the physical world. We know what that unfinished business was for all the ghosts in Hogwarts, except for one. Moaning Myrtle, yeah, the house ghosts, yeah...But not Professor Binns.Everyone says that, one night while asleep in front of the staff room fire, he fell died and simply woke up again in the morning to teach. We know, though, that that isn't how one becomes a ghost. So, my question is: what did he have to live for? He had no special relationships with students. He didn't have a family. All he did was eat, sleep, and plan boring lessons- when he wasn't giving those lessons. Nobody has ever thought to ask this before, but what did he have to live for? Thoughts?
I'm sorry that I can't give a good reply, but I'm just guessing.Is there a Binns' biography somewhere? I really don't think so. So who knows? Maybe he did have something to live for. Maybe he had a unsolved problem that he was determined to solve, or some other 'unfinished business'. How do you know that Binns didn't have a problem to solve? How do you know that there wasn't more to his life then his life at Hogwarts? Or, another suggestion, maybe he was in love with his lessons and that was his 'unfinished business', however silly it would seem. Maybe he loved to teach so much that he couldn't bear to die and not teach History of Magic anymore. So that could be his unfinished business, or something else nobody knows about. What I'm trying to say is, how well do you know Binns?
Emerson Rose Kail wroteHe loved to teach. So even when he died, he wanted to continue teaching History of Magic. Exactly what I said in my second suggestion, Emerson!
I found as much stuff as I possibly could on the internet about Professor Binns. No friends, no family, no student-teacher relationships. And He always did the best he could with, teaching, and although it was practically his life, he didn't enjoy it enough to become a ghost.
It said he didn't enjoy it enough to become a ghost?
Well not necessarily, but it was a bio thing, so I had to do some reading between the lines if you know what I mean. Still, it was pretty obvious.
Also, I don't think that that would count as unfinished business.
the way I like to look at it is the fact that teaching is the only thing he knew. As mentioned before, he had nothing else in his life, so maybe the thought of not teaching was just out of the question for him. It was all he had? Why would he give it up for an afterlife, which he knows nothing about
It's not only about unfinished business, is it? Can't they just choose to become a ghost? Say Binns didn't want to go on. The only thing he knew was History of Magic, and by the time he died it was his routine, so he just figured he was better off continuing to do the same thing, instead of trying something new that he didn't know what would lead to. He teaches history after all, it's no wonder he wants to keep repeating what he has been doing for so long. I can see him as a person who fears the unknown and death, and chooses to stay as a ghost.
Yeah Nearly-Headless Nick had no unfinished business as such, but he stayed on simply because he was 'afraid of death'. Maybe Binns was too.
Yeah, that could be it, Jade Evans.
didnt binns wake up to go teach not knowing he was dead? thats also grounds for not going into the afterlife. thats why when theres a fatality on the side of the road and people put little crosses there. it originated from the belief that people wouldnt know they died and would just go home to their family. so the crosses were there to say "hey guy, your dead, dont freak out just goto the light and whatnot"
This is an interesting topic. I believe that the joke was that in life his lessons were very much like listening to an animated corpse. He was so dry, dusty, and boring in life, that there really wasn't much of a difference in the afterlife. However, if I wanted to expand on it beyond what we are prompted to assume, I would think it had something to do with history. If one understands and loves history then they would be fascinated with becoming history. Unfinished business could be that he would never be remembered throughout history. So he stays to not be forgotten by time.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!