Vernon attempting magic

So I'm re-reading the Philospphers stone at the moment and on page 41 as Hagrid is about to tell Harry about his background and that he's a wizard it says "Uncle Vernon, who had gone very pale, whispered something that sounded like 'Mimblewimble'." which from my time on Pottermore I recall being the tongue tying spell. Now we know Vernon didn't want Hagrid telling Harry about anything so he must have known exactly what he was attempting to do which leaves the question: why would he know to try this? I personally think that James and possibly Lily must have at some point used magic to torment Vernon and Petunia which would explain why they are so afraid of magic and wizards and try so hard to stamp out Harry's magical connections. Just thought it was a cool thing and wanted to know what you guys thought about it ^_^
So I'm re-reading the Philospphers stone at the moment and on page 41 as Hagrid is about to tell Harry about his background and that he's a wizard it says "Uncle Vernon, who had gone very pale, whispered something that sounded like 'Mimblewimble'." which from my time on Pottermore I recall being the tongue tying spell. Now we know Vernon didn't want Hagrid telling Harry about anything so he must have known exactly what he was attempting to do which leaves the question: why would he know to try this? I personally think that James and possibly Lily must have at some point used magic to torment Vernon and Petunia which would explain why they are so afraid of magic and wizards and try so hard to stamp out Harry's magical connections. Just thought it was a cool thing and wanted to know what you guys thought about it ^_^
WowGood thought
Ah... I don't see anything good in this thought. In my opinion, there is other reason... Some muggles really prefer to hide magic, just because they think that it's not normal... They live in their worl and they don't wanna know about any magic activity... It's comfort living for them. Magic world is comfort only for wizards and witches...
Lily Potter never used magic to harm a Muggle for if she did the Ministry would put her into Azkaban. Petunia however, always hated Lily due to her ability to do magic and in her eyes saw magic as evil or wicked.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!