The Sorting Hat

Hello, so I don't know where to post this discussion so I guess I will here.So, I think maybe the Sorting Hat doesn't place you in a house based on what you are, but rather what you want to be, what you believe in, or what you value. For example, you don't necessarily have to be smart to be in Ravenclaw, and if you're in another house it doesn't necessarily mean you're dumb. I mean Hermione was really smart and I've heard people say they think she should have been placed in Ravenclaw but she was placed in Gryffindor which leads me to think perhaps it was because she wanted to be brave or valued Gryffindor aspects. Another example is Neville, he didn't want to be in Gryffindor but was placed there anyway, and I think that's because deep down he really wanted to be brave, so that's why he was placed where he was. Some of you might be thinking 'well yeah, but that's because they became brave later in the books.'Yes, but what about Peter Pettigrew? He wasn't very brave, and in the end he was a coward who sold out his friends to Voldemort. People say he should have been in Slytherin. But I think that maybe it's because he valued bravery. He wanted to be brave even though he wasn't or he never tried. Hufflepuffs value kindness and we can see this in Cedric Diggory. He was as brave as Harry but he was placed in Hufflepuff. Perhaps he saw how kind his dad was and wanted to be like that so he was put in Hufflepuff. Draco Malfoy probably wanted to be like his dad, cunning and ambitious, he was probably raised like that too so that's what he wanted to be when he first entered hogwarts.Luna is an example for Ravenclaw. She valued her knowledge of mystical creatures and believed in them, she didn't seem dumb, no she wasn't, but it may not have come across as her being very smart either to some of the other students in Hogwarts because she believed in things the other students thought of as myths. Luna valued her knowledge. I don't know if this has been talked about before but I wanted to know what you guys thought.  
Hello, so I don't know where to post this discussion so I guess I will here.So, I think maybe the Sorting Hat doesn't place you in a house based on what you are, but rather what you want to be, what you believe in, or what you value. For example, you don't necessarily have to be smart to be in Ravenclaw, and if you're in another house it doesn't necessarily mean you're dumb. I mean Hermione was really smart and I've heard people say they think she should have been placed in Ravenclaw but she was placed in Gryffindor which leads me to think perhaps it was because she wanted to be brave or valued Gryffindor aspects. Another example is Neville, he didn't want to be in Gryffindor but was placed there anyway, and I think that's because deep down he really wanted to be brave, so that's why he was placed where he was. Some of you might be thinking 'well yeah, but that's because they became brave later in the books.'Yes, but what about Peter Pettigrew? He wasn't very brave, and in the end he was a coward who sold out his friends to Voldemort. People say he should have been in Slytherin. But I think that maybe it's because he valued bravery. He wanted to be brave even though he wasn't or he never tried. Hufflepuffs value kindness and we can see this in Cedric Diggory. He was as brave as Harry but he was placed in Hufflepuff. Perhaps he saw how kind his dad was and wanted to be like that so he was put in Hufflepuff. Draco Malfoy probably wanted to be like his dad, cunning and ambitious, he was probably raised like that too so that's what he wanted to be when he first entered hogwarts.Luna is an example for Ravenclaw. She valued her knowledge of mystical creatures and believed in them, she didn't seem dumb, no she wasn't, but it may not have come across as her being very smart either to some of the other students in Hogwarts because she believed in things the other students thought of as myths. Luna valued her knowledge. I don't know if this has been talked about before but I wanted to know what you guys thought.  
I never thought of it that way. You do make a good point. Even when Harry get's sorted by the hat in first year it gave him a choice because he did not want to be in Slytherin. He kept telling the hat " not Slytherin " repeatedly until finally the hat yelled Gryffindor. But in book 2 when he visits Dumbledore he asks the hat if he thinks he put him in the right house. And the hat still says he would have done well in Slytherin. But near the end when he saves Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets he pulls out the Sword of Gryffindor and realizes he made the right choice.
Scorpius Malfoy wroteHello, so I don't know where to post this discussion so I guess I will here.So, I think maybe the Sorting Hat doesn't place you in a house based on what you are, but rather what you want to be, what you believe in, or what you value. For example, you don't necessarily have to be smart to be in Ravenclaw, and if you're in another house it doesn't necessarily mean you're dumb. I mean Hermione was really smart and I've heard people say they think she should have been placed in Ravenclaw but she was placed in Gryffindor which leads me to think perhaps it was because she wanted to be brave or valued Gryffindor aspects. Another example is Neville, he didn't want to be in Gryffindor but was placed there anyway, and I think that's because deep down he really wanted to be brave, so that's why he was placed where he was. Some of you might be thinking 'well yeah, but that's because they became brave later in the books.'Yes, but what about Peter Pettigrew? He wasn't very brave, and in the end he was a coward who sold out his friends to Voldemort. People say he should have been in Slytherin. But I think that maybe it's because he valued bravery. He wanted to be brave even though he wasn't or he never tried. Hufflepuffs value kindness and we can see this in Cedric Diggory. He was as brave as Harry but he was placed in Hufflepuff. Perhaps he saw how kind his dad was and wanted to be like that so he was put in Hufflepuff. Draco Malfoy probably wanted to be like his dad, cunning and ambitious, he was probably raised like that too so that's what he wanted to be when he first entered hogwarts.Luna is an example for Ravenclaw. She valued her knowledge of mystical creatures and believed in them, she didn't seem dumb, no she wasn't, but it may not have come across as her being very smart either to some of the other students in Hogwarts because she believed in things the other students thought of as myths. Luna valued her knowledge. I don't know if this has been talked about before but I wanted to know what you guys thought.  True Dat.
These are such interesting points!
You do have some good points there. However, I do have some things that seem a little... contradictory to what you say. I mean Hermione was really smart and I've heard people say they think she should have been placed in Ravenclaw but she was placed in Gryffindor which leads me to think perhaps it was because she wanted to be brave or valued Gryffindor aspects.Yes, there is not denying that Hermione is highly intelligent, and even smarter then most Ravenclaws. However, Hermione, throughout the series, seemed to value knowledge very much. Somebody as studious as her definitely values a lot of knowledge. I remember one point in one of the books where a character (I forget which one) questioned her being placed into Gryffindor. They were wondering why she wasn't placed in Ravenclaw. Hermione responded saying that the sorting hat seriously considered placing her in Ravenclaw, but then decided on Gryffindor. I believe that this is because Hermione's dominate trait is her bravery.Another example is Neville, he didn't want to be in Gryffindor but was placed there anyway, and I think that's because deep down he really wanted to be brave, so that's why he was placed where he was. Some of you might be thinking 'well yeah, but that's because they became brave later in the books.'Neville is actually braver then you may think. He shows bravery when standing up to Ron, Harry, and Hermione (1st book), Bellatrix (6th book) when refusing to obey the Carrows (7th book) and the list could go on. So it's not entirely accurate saying that he "wanted to be brave." He was brave in all of those moments.Yes, but what about Peter Pettigrew? He wasn't very brave, and in the end he was a coward who sold out his friends to Voldemort. People say he should have been in Slytherin. But I think that maybe it's because he valued bravery. He wanted to be brave even though he wasn't or he never tried.Okay, this all happened after Peter Pettigrew left Hogwarts. People change you know. We never really got to know what Peter was fully like when he was a student at Hogwarts. The Sorting Hat isn't a Seer. It can't predict the future. It can't tell what people will do later on in life. The Sorting Hat can probably only sort you into what house you belong in as a 1st year. For example, you may show many traits of a Ravenclaw in your first year, but then, in your third year, show many more Slytherin-like traits.Hufflepuffs value kindness and we can see this in Cedric Diggory. He was as brave as Harry but he was placed in Hufflepuff. Perhaps he saw how kind his dad was and wanted to be like that so he was put in Hufflepuff.We really only get to see Cedric Diggory in the Goblet of Fire. During the tournament, you would doubtlessly see bravery in all of the contestants. Hufflepuffs don't just value kindness though. They value honesty and loyalty. I believe that all through that book, you see Cedric showing loyalty towards Harry (which is also loyalty to Hogwarts.)Draco Malfoy probably wanted to be like his dad, cunning and ambitious, he was probably raised like that too so that's what he wanted to be when he first entered hogwarts.Well... yeah. If that's how he wanted to be, that's how he acted, subsequently sorting him into Slytherin. You have to take into account that by the time of the major changes in Hogwarts, (in the last 2 books) people change! Tell me that you would not change somehow, in any way, with all of those events going on.Luna is an example for Ravenclaw. She valued her knowledge of mystical creatures and believed in them, she didn't seem dumb, no she wasn't, but it may not have come across as her being very smart either to some of the other students in Hogwarts because she believed in things the other students thought of as myths. Luna valued her knowledge.Luna has a very... unique perspective on things, and going through the series, you see her portray more knowledge and wisdom then she lets on. Yeah, she believes in all these (most likely) false creatures, but that doesn't mean that she's not smart for believing in them. You could believe in the tooth fairy for all I care and still have a very high IQ, and so what if you dress oddly or talk unlike normal people. You could still be very knowledgeable.
Rayla Jackson, i agree on what you said about Peter Pettigrew. After all, he was an Marauder, so he surely was sometimes brave. he showed Gryffindor traits in his Hogwarts years and even if he lost them after school, he belonged to Gryffindor for those seven years. 
Regarding the sorting hat I think that what people perceive about others can be different than who those people really are. Someone could be popular with a lot of friends but still feel like they do not belong or someone could be extremely quiet but put them in a different situation they might seem like someone else. Every person has multiple traits and I think that the sorting hat finds the ones that the person believes in and wants to be. Hermione was incredibly smart and a talented magic user with a great deal of knowledge about many things but was placed in Gryffindor because she believed that she could be more than book-smart. I believe that values come into it a lot; some people like Draco had dominant traits and you could easily tell what he valued but you also got to see different sides of him as well. I mean, we all feel a connection with one house within ourselves for different reasons. Me personally I have always felt like I belong in Ravenclaw but notice that I have pretty strong Hufflepuff traits as well and would never think of changing. The sorting hat may not be a Seer but I think it can sense what type of person we are growing to be. :)
I agree with you ideas, to a certain extent. You can want to be intelligent and witty, yet still not be fit to be a Ravenclaw. I don't think they put you in your house because that's who you want to be, but that's the qualities you will grow to posess. You may not be very brave when you enter Gryffindor, for example, but as you grow up at Hogwarts you may become brave and confident. I think they place you in the house where you can learn how to become who you truly are and aspire to be.
The Sorting Hat places a witch or wizard into the house that there bloodline or relatives were in. It has nothing to do with bravery. Categories like that are mentioned based off of the goals that individual places on themselves for future success.
I disagree think about the Black family all the Black's were in Slytherin but serious was in Gryffindor
I agree! The Sorting Hat doesn't put you in the house that fits your personality. It puts you in the house that you choose to be in. For me, whenever I take the quizzes online, I usually get Hufflepuff because that's the house that I want to be in. But I do see myself as a sometimes Gryffindor. I'm kind and very smart, so Ravenclaw I would be great in, but that doesn't mean I'm not smart just because I'm in Hufflepuff. You see, when Albus Sirius Potter was sorted into Slytherin, he didn't want to be there, but the Sorting Hat knew he would do well, just like he had told Harry. But Harry didn't want to be in Slytherin. He wanted to be in Gryffindor, with his friends. But, I can see why the Sorting Hat wanted him to be in Slytherin. I think it had something to do with the fact that Snape didn't exactly like him but he would have been a bit nicer to Harry if he was in his house.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!