Rereading - didn't want to find these but did

I just started rereading HP and the SS and I found a mistake. JK called football "soccer". It's not called soccer in Britain... I love love love JK and HP but that's not accurate :(((((and I understand it's a book but that's extremely bothersome to me.
I just started rereading HP and the SS and I found a mistake. JK called football "soccer". It's not called soccer in Britain... I love love love JK and HP but that's not accurate :(((((and I understand it's a book but that's extremely bothersome to me.
Maybe this is the American version? And in the UK Version, it is called "Football."
Mac, If you were reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, then you *were* reading the American version. They used soccer instead of football & vacation instead of holiday. There are also a few other differences, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. JK didn't "make a mistake", the American publishing company figured we Americans were too dumb to figure out what she actually meant - at least in the first book. I believe things got better by the end of the series.
Yeah if you were reading the American releases they changed a lot of the wording to match American-English terminology, as opposed to European-English terminology. The biggest, of course, being "Philosopher's Stone" versus "Sorcerer's Stone," but lots of little words and spellings changed too. I remember being a very confused kid when the movie came out and they were talking about 'troll bogies' because they never used the word 'bogies' in the book but context very quickly made it clear those are boogers lol. Etc, etc.
Yes, they changed a LOT of things for the American version.  Still don't know why they felt the need to change the title though.  Do American's not know what a Philosopher is?  :)
I think in the first book or two, they also referred to Mrs. Weasley as Ron's "mom", and even as an American that sounded weird to me... why would British children call their mother Mom? Luckily Jo put her foot down and they used Mum for the rest of the series.  
Yeah, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is American; have you noticed that the real version is called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone? Speaking of mistakes, when Harry gets his first-year list it repeats "wand" twice; once at the top and once at the bottom.
Gemma Best wroteYes, they changed a LOT of things for the American version.  Still don't know why they felt the need to change the title though.  Do American's not know what a Philosopher is?  :)haha we just don't understand it in the same way as you do. I recently read up about this question and apparently the general understanding is that Hollywood changed the title for mainly two reasons; the first one being that American schooling hasn't really taught much yet about philosophy (and actually many different categories of study to be honest). In past polls, studies of society show that the american public did not know the meaning of many words that were used in lots of different film titles. In a forum a man posted the following: "Famous title changes to take account of the incredible ignorance of the average American include "Licence Revoked" which became "Licence to Kill" when over 70% of those polled didn't [know] what "Revoked" means, and "The Madness of King George III", which had to drop the "III" because it was realised that Americans would be uninterested in the film since they'd obviously missed the first two films of the trilogy." (source) This doesn't surprise me, because upon asking myself this same question of the conversation, I had to look up what a philosopher was because all I knew was there was a Greek one named Plato, haha. Anyway, I also looked up the definition of the title from two sources; one states: "A study that attempts to discover the fundamental principles of the sciences, the arts, and the world that the sciences and arts deals with; the word 'philosophy' is from the Greek for 'love of wisdom'" (@article {Dictionary.com2014, title = {The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition}, month = {Jun}, day = {15}, year = {2014}, url = {http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/philosophy}) [American]the second:"someone who studies or writes about the meaning of life" (Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press) [British]basically, I think the "philosopher" sounds more sophisticated and more interesting after thinking hard about these two definitions. That he is someone who, wether magical or muggle, was studying the way of the people and why we as a people are here and also how magic plays into it all. The "sorcerer" sounds a bit less controlled, or even less knowledgeable, like someone who just stumbled upon magic and didn't know what they were doing to create such a stone.the second reason hollywood changed it was because philosopher gave the image of an old as dirt philosophy teacher writing books or just multitudes of questions like and Sorcerer is mysterious, magical, powerful and gives the image of... well.... and they definitely needed the title change to help push the concept of the film to the public, that being the first of the book series that was only just beginning it's hight. I personally think they were smart to change it but it's kind of unfortunate they had to.just my understanding ~ :)) sorry again for this being so ridiculously long, idk what came over me lol
Alexis Johnson wroteI had to look up what a philosopher was because all I knew was there was a Greek one named Plato, haha. Anyway, I also looked up the definition of the title from two sources; one states: "A study that attempts to discover the fundamental principles of the sciences, the arts, and the world that the sciences and arts deals with; the word 'philosophy' is from the Greek for 'love of wisdom'" (@article {Dictionary.com2014, title = {The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition}, month = {Jun}, day = {15}, year = {2014}, url = {http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/philosophy}) [American]the second:"someone who studies or writes about the meaning of life" (Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press) [British]"-Alexis, being from the UK, that's what I originally thought when thinking of what "Philosopher" meant.BUTThe Philosophers Stone would have been created by an Alchemist - a Hermetic/Philosophic Alchemist to be precise.  Philosophy has two meanings; that which you described above, and the Alchemy meaning, which is the thinking behind the transformation of common lead into gold.  This thinking begins within Philosophy, but can only be completed within Alchemy.I THINK... that's my current understanding anyways.
Gemma, you are correct. In this case it would be the American tendency to separate "Philosopher's Stone" into Philosopher and Stone thereby changing/confusing the meaning. Most Americans are unaware of Alchemy and it's search for the elusive Philosopher's Stone which is in and of itself a theoretical construct at this point. Most Americans would see the word Philosopher and think of Plato if they thought of anything and completely ignore the word stone until the whole thing was finally explained in the book. This is not to say that we Americans are ignorant, it's just that we have a different focus on our education. Alexis: the American version of the title was changed long before Hollywood got its hands on it. It was changed by the publisher in a possibly misguided attempt to alleviate the confusion over exactly what the stone is.
I like the Sorcerer's Stone best. Then, I am American. (:
I've read that the american publisher thought American children wouldn't want to read a book with "philosopher" in the title.Publishers are a nervous bunch.  The British publisher wouldn't let the author use her real name, because "boys won't read a story by a woman". they told her to use initials.  She doesn't have a middle name, so the "K" comes from her grandmother's name.  The publishers may have been wrong, but at least they published the book, and started this whole wondrous journey.  :)
I agree that they changed a lot. The thing is, I understand almost all of the changes they made and why the made them, and I know what they should be and what they mean. Still, sometimes I am ridiculed for being American on fan site because of all the changes. I think that someone should make a petition or something to stop that. Any other opinions?
I agree with the previous post on UK and USA versions of the book.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!