Make this Fat Rat Yellow

It always bothered me that Ron actually believed that he had to say a whole poem to turn his rat yellow.He grew up in a wizarding family and would have never seen this style of spell before.I just figure that J K Rowling came up with it before she fully decided on how magic words would work and different want to change it.
It always bothered me that Ron actually believed that he had to say a whole poem to turn his rat yellow.He grew up in a wizarding family and would have never seen this style of spell before.I just figure that J K Rowling came up with it before she fully decided on how magic words would work and different want to change it.
It also bothered me how many times he used that rat in his lessons. Even with a perfect wand and knowledge of the spell it still wouldn't have worked 100% because of the truth of Scabbers. 
Paen, to my knowledge Ron doesn't actually use Scabbers in his lessons in the books. He does attempt to turn him yellow once; other than that Scabbers is mostly just there in the background, until he becomes more important in PoA. It's only in the movies that a rat in front of Ron happens to be used for Fera Verto practice--presumably Scabbers, but there are also so many animals in the classroom at the time it's also possible it isn't. As for the 'yellow' casting spell, it is a little weird, but also keep in mind most of the instances in which we see Molly or Arthur casting spells they usually are skilled enough to do it non-verbally. It's possible he didn't know any better. Some of our texts and lessons on this site also imply that poems, long incantations, and rituals used to be popular back in the day to cast magic too; this could be true in canonical HP world as well and not much would be thought of it.
Magic was a very common part of his life though. It would be like if your siblings told you had to snap your fingers to turn the TV or lights on. You know that obviously isn't true because you have seen it happen without snapping a million times.It just would have made more sense if someone tricked Harry or Hermione into believing they had to rhyme.
Like what Karma said though, his parents, Bill, and Charlie probably always did nonverbal spells. It's like in Muggle life; if your whole family is good at math, that doesn't mean you have any idea how to do it when you start school. Also, he probably assumed it was a fairly new, unofficial spell. It probably takes a while to figure out how to make a spell work with just one word. Many of them probably start out as poems.
Don't forget Seamus trying to turn his water to rum, also with a  rhyme... and this was several weeks into the school year.  Seamus' mother a witch so he should have seen spells performed in the past and, they'd definitely begun learning "real" spells by that point. So, why would he be reciting a rhyme? I'm guessing that it's because some of the rhymes are still used. We just haven't heard of any in our own Hogwarts lessons yet. :-D
Yeah, maybe(:
Perhaps longer incantations are part of the process of creating a new spells. There probably isn't a spell specifically to turn a "stupid, fat rat yellow" (although there is likely one that would do the same thing) so Fred and George may have said this was a spell specifically for that. We know from Snape that inventing spells isn't too hard for someone their age to do, so Ron could have very well believed that this was a real, working spell...just in its beginning stages. After all, as much as I love Ron, we all know he wasn't the sharpest when it comes to common sense.
JUST common sense????? Usually, in most things he isn't the sharpest knife in the box! Especially logic...
Snape was extremely intelligent, while Ron was...well...not.
One thing that i read recently that made me lol what the fact that Fred and George saw Ron sleeping next to "peter Pettigrew" on the maurder's map for years and never did anything about it. 
LOL
Honestly, I always wonder if Ron's rat spell would work. I mean Scabbers was Peter Pettigrew so he's obviously not a rat, but if you were to try it on a real rat would it work?
Well, his brothers taught him the spell. Saying all that would not make the spell work. We can see that when Hermione performed oculus reparo to fix Harry's glasses that it was a correct spell.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!