Portkeys

Does it bother anyone else that the Triwizard Cup is the only portkey mentioned to travel two ways?  They throw the old ones away when traveling to the Quidditch World Cup, which makes me think that one-way was standard, and that you would have to intentionally enchant an object to be two-way.  I doubt that Barty Crouch Jr. wanted Harry or anyone else to return with the portkey, so he wouldn't have created it with that capability... right?  This is something that has bothered me for years!  Any thoughts are welcome! =)
Does it bother anyone else that the Triwizard Cup is the only portkey mentioned to travel two ways?  They throw the old ones away when traveling to the Quidditch World Cup, which makes me think that one-way was standard, and that you would have to intentionally enchant an object to be two-way.  I doubt that Barty Crouch Jr. wanted Harry or anyone else to return with the portkey, so he wouldn't have created it with that capability... right?  This is something that has bothered me for years!  Any thoughts are welcome! =)
They don't "throw the old Portkeys away" after the Quidditch World cup. They are placed in a container, then used to return people to their homes afterward. Admittedly, the book doesn't specify if they get the same portkey back. But I think that it may be possible that the QW Portkeys were intentionally made as "one way" because a) they didn't know how long the match would actually take - they *can* take days and b) they didn't want the wrong person handling the portkey to be sent somewhere they didn't want to go by accident. This is, of course, speculation as I've never read where JK discussed this. ;-)
Thanks for your input!  It's been a bit since I've read through them all, but I'm almost finished with my PoA readthrough, so I'll see what you're talking about with the recycled portkeys soon.  It makes a lot of sense that making them two-way could have some unintended consequences... which makes it more baffling to me that the Triwizard cup manages to take Harry back to Hogwarts.Also, as Hermione is constantly reminding us, isn't it incredibly difficult to magically transport yourself in and out of Hogwarts?  How did Barty get a portkey to work in the first place, let alone twice?These questions drive me crazy... =P
So here's what I think, though I'll have to look for more info next time I read it: given that the cup was in the middle of the maze, it may have been a portkey intentionally to get the winner out of the maze and in front of all the people waiting (btw, what a boring task to watch, don't you think?). They did this in the movie, but if you notice in the book they aren't transported back to where they found the cup, they're brought right to the front of all the spectators and Dumbledore, so it's plausible. Harry and Cedric seem pretty shocked that it's a portkey, since no one ever told them any such thing, but that doesn't mean it wasn't meant to be that way. If this were the case, Barty would have to have just tinkered with it to change the destination, but maybe the original destination was left on there, ready for use? Barty is pretty capable, having escaped from Azkaban and impersonated an auror, even to the deception of Dumbledore, so we shouldn't be surprised he could mess with a portkey. Then we have to wonder how Harry's dad, somehow coming out of Voldemort's wand, would have known any such thing about where the portkey would go. How did he even know what was going on? Watching from the afterlife, perhaps? Or did his parents in some way change the portkey to send him back to Hogwarts? It's hard to say. You'd think if they just popped out of Voldemort's wand they would all be like "Waaahh??" But Rowling did hint at some kind of afterlife, so I guess that's our best bet.
Jaime, you have to remember that Harry messed up Voldemort's plans. It went back in front of the spectators so that Voldemort would come, triumphant, with Harry's corpse to take over the school/world, etc, etc.
I like the grandeur of that, but do you really think Voldemort would immediately put himself right in front of Dumbledore the moment he got his powers back? Not to mention all the other wizards who were there to watch the 3rd task? I feel like he wouldn't be so cocky. It's been forever since I've read that book though, is that mentioned?
hahaLike Peeves said once, "Voldy went moldy!"But they did not get the fun part.
Jaime Jo Brown wroteI like the grandeur of that, but do you really think Voldemort would immediately put himself right in front of Dumbledore the moment he got his powers back? Not to mention all the other wizards who were there to watch the 3rd task? I feel like he wouldn't be so cocky. It's been forever since I've read that book though, is that mentioned?I don't think that is what she meant. I never thought of this and it would be very interesting thing to study in depth. I believe Jaime was just saying that it would return Harry's body, not anyone alive. In that way, Voldemort could retain his mystery and still strike fear into the wizarding world.As far as the portkeys themselves, I would think that they would only be one way by default, but we already know they have different settings. They can be put on timers or scheduled to go off the second they are touched. I'm sure by this default, one can also schedule them to "return" on a timer. By this theory, two portkey spells would be cast upon the same item. One leaves in five minutes for the destination. One leaves in two hours from the destination. Both timers would count down simultaneously. The same can probably be said for the portkey and Crouch Jr was a very capable and talented wizard. This is proven also by his ability to confound the Goblet and by his ability to trick the entire staff to his identity for over eight months. He also was one of the two known individuals to escape Askaban (not counting the mass breakout) and lived unnoticed and in hiding for years. It would not surprise me that he could create a portkey like this. Also, Dumbledore made two that transported the kids in and out of Hogwarts. There was the black kettle after Arthur's attack and then Harry got one from the ministry to the Headmaster's office after the battle in the ministry.
What bothered me is that Barty went through all that trouble in helping Harry to win and therefore get to the portkey first, when he just could have handed Harry a portkey object (cup, book...) when they were alone. I know the book would have been much shorter but still...it is a bit annoying
Jaime Jo Brown WroteBarty is pretty capable, having escaped from Azkaban...I would just like to point out that Barty Jr. didn't escape Azkaban by himself. He had his parents help. It was actually his mothers idea. She was sick and she wanted to help her son in some way. They went to visit Barty and his mother switched places with him using polyjuice potion. His father walked him out of there and his mother ended up dying in Azkaban while still polyjuiced as Barty Jr.
It's not just the Tri-Wizard Cup that's a port-key, the Time Turner is also known as a port-key as well.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!