Out of curiosity...

When Harry and the others are initially trying to find a safe place to hold their D.A. meetings to train, did anybody else think they could have used the Chamber of Secrets? I mean, it's well hidden, Harry is the only person that can get into it because he's a parselmouth so he can specifically let people in or out and regulate it, it's huge enough to fit numerous students for practicing, and it would offer some decent practical experience getting students used to fighting in dark or creepy places before they actually had to, so they would already know how to keep their cool when in an actual life or death scenario.I mean don't get me wrong, Room of Requirement was awesome too, but I feel like they missed out on an opportunity with this one...
When Harry and the others are initially trying to find a safe place to hold their D.A. meetings to train, did anybody else think they could have used the Chamber of Secrets? I mean, it's well hidden, Harry is the only person that can get into it because he's a parselmouth so he can specifically let people in or out and regulate it, it's huge enough to fit numerous students for practicing, and it would offer some decent practical experience getting students used to fighting in dark or creepy places before they actually had to, so they would already know how to keep their cool when in an actual life or death scenario.I mean don't get me wrong, Room of Requirement was awesome too, but I feel like they missed out on an opportunity with this one...
I don't know about you, but if I was Ginny Weasley I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that place. Neither would Harry, come to think of it. The Room of Requirement was a safer place also, the basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets may have been dead, but I still wouldn't want to go near it.Also, Hermione would never have agreed to that, and she was the one suggesting the whole thing. Didn't she only agree to the Room of Requirement when Harry mentioned that Dumbledore had mentioned it?
That would've been a pretty good idea. And even if Ginny didn't want to, she's pretty brave. She would've done it, especially considering they were defying Umbridge's liking. On the other hand, Hermione probably wouldn't do it. She would've found it to risky, especially if Umbridge somehow found a way in. I think Harry would've had to find more time, though, to teach everyone how to pass the door. He did have to speak parseltongue to get in. So even if it was just one word, he'd have to find time for that as well, but with the Room of Requirement, all they had to do was think. 
The only problem with using the Chamber of Secrets was getting out. Unless there was another way out of the Chamber that was never told about (which I'm sure there probably was), the only stated way out of the Chamber was flying. Either everyone would have had to bring their own brooms, or depend on Dobby to get house elves to help them out. It could have happened, but the Room of Requirement was a bit more convenient of a meeting place that would have been safe had they not been ratted out.
The Chamber might have been good, but the memories (and the dead basilisk carcass) would have scared everyone away. The Room of Requirement had to be introduced to lead the way for later books. Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows needed the room to become the Room of Hidden Things to advance the story and altogether bring it to the final chapter.
I actually never thought about that... but it probably didn't smell too good down there with the dead rotting Basilisk and dried blood everywhere.... also, the thing with how to get out is a problem too. I feel it probably would've taken too long to figure out, and also, I think J.K. Rowling was introducing the Room of Requirement here because it would make it easier for the next two books, since it makes an appearance in both of them. It flowed well into this plot line, what with Harry asking Dobby where they could find a meeting place. 
If I was Harry, I certainly would have used it for something.It just seems like a waste to let that much space go to waste, especially a secret space that others can't wander into on their own. Make it into a club house or something.Of course, sneaking in through the girls' bathroom every time would be a pain.
I like to think that the Chamber collapsed after tCoS, but even if it didn't, how would they get out? Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Lockhart were only able to leave because of Fawkes. I spelled that wrong, didn't I? Anyway, Harry would have to stay in the bathroom the whole time to make sure everyone could get in, as you have to speak parseltounge, and that would be a bit of a problem, as he was teaching the lessons.
I think it's just kind of a creepy place, but also it's a process to get into. To get all those kids into the girl's bathroom without noticing would be really hard and you have to climb down into it, and remember Fawkes got them out last time so they wouldn't know the way out again. Room of Requirement was just easier. Now what I never understood is why Voldemort never actually hid a horcrux down there. When I first read the 7th and Harry was trying to find the last horcrux and he was like "where did Riddle think would be hidden forever?" I immediately thought of the Chamber, not the Room of Requirement. 
Oh yeah
Niamh S wroteI don't know about you, but if I was Ginny Weasley I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that place. Neither would Harry, come to think of it. The Room of Requirement was a safer place also, the basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets may have been dead, but I still wouldn't want to go near it.Also, Hermione would never have agreed to that, and she was the one suggesting the whole thing. Didn't she only agree to the Room of Requirement when Harry mentioned that Dumbledore had mentioned it?Genius I couldn't agree more. You took the words right out of my mouth ( not literally).
And wouldn't people get freaked out by the giant dead basilisk? 
Definitely! I mean I would be literally screaming and refusing to go in
Okay, this is an old argument, but I wanted to add that Harry wouldn't have wanted to go back there, and neither would Ginny, and possibly even Ron. For both Harry and Ginny it was a traumatic experience-- especially the latter. With having no way to really clean the place up, every DA meeting would have been difficult and just brought up bad memories. 

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!