Sirius' Wand

I may have missed this particular detail in the books, but when does Sirius get his wand back? I assume that obviously the Ministry may have taken or destroyed it when he was sentenced to life in Azkaban, but I don't know if the books ever specifically say how he gets it back or if he gets a new one. Does anybody know?
I may have missed this particular detail in the books, but when does Sirius get his wand back? I assume that obviously the Ministry may have taken or destroyed it when he was sentenced to life in Azkaban, but I don't know if the books ever specifically say how he gets it back or if he gets a new one. Does anybody know?
I just checked him on the HP wiki and didn't find anything about his wand.  My guess is that they snapped it when he was convicted and he got a new one at some point.
Angela K wroteI just checked him on the HP wiki and didn't find anything about his wand.  My guess is that they snapped it when he was convicted and he got a new one at some point.When would he have had a chance to get a new one, though? everyone thought he was a murderer. I don't think any wandmakers would be willing to sell a wand to someone they thought was a murderer. i mean, what if he used his new wand to kill people. I know he was innocent, but not everyone believed harry and Dumbledore at first.
I always assumed (if it wasn't merely a minor plothole), that  Remus or Dumbledore found Sirius a new wand. Now, it might not have been perfect, as he couldn't have chosen it for himself, but it would've sufficed I suppose.
It's also possible he stole it at some point. At the end of PoA he stole first Ron's and then Snape's wands until they'd sorted out he was a good guy. In GoF I believe he mentions breaking into peoples' houses to use their fires for floo powder conversations, and I think he also said that while he had to be careful about stealing food so he wouldn't get caught he was not adverse to actually stealing. Even if he is a good guy he's also gotten pretty used to being a criminal on the run, I don't think he'd shy away from stealing a wand. Since pretty much everyone was stealing or swapping wands by the end of DH this wouldn't surprise me in the least since it's apparently not as uncommon as the early books would have us believe.He also mentioned having a lot of money in his own Gringotts account and ordering Harry's Firebolt via owl order and Crookshanks, so it's possible he could've done it that way too.
I doubt they would snap the wands of the prisoners. I could be wrong, but not everyone is in there for life, right? Hagrid was there for a pretty brief period, and had he had a wand to snap, and they had in fact snapped it, it would have been pretty embarrassing for the ministry to have to explain it upon his release. Now, this raises the question of why Hagrid's wand was snapped without him going to prison, but in all honesty that could have had to do with him being a part giant. We've seen how bigoted wizards can be. So I'd guess they kept the wands somewhere, and upon escape, the prisoners retrieved them, seeing as the dementors were on their side and all. This would lead me to assume that Sirius did not get his original wand back, because he had to be pretty quick about getting out (not having any help), so I would agree that Dumbledore hooked him up later down the road. Unless I'm wrong, before proving his innocence, Sirius didn't have a wand, right? He stole it from Ron or something, when trying to kill Wormtail. So it would have been after Dumbledore found that he was innocent that Sirius got his wand, supporting the idea that it was Dumbledore's doing.
That's a pretty valid point, Jaime... although seeing as all the Death Eaters and Sirius were in there for life, I don't see why they wouldn't snap them, since it's different than, say, Marvolo Gaunt, who was in Azkaban for six months, or Morfin, for three years. I also guess other prisoners could get time off for good behavior, but again, since most of the Death Eaters were convicted for life... Karma mentioned that he might have ordered it through his Gringotts account, which is also a valid point. That would explain the Death Eaters having wands too, possibly. Others mentioned Dumbledore, which would explain Sirius well. I would have to conclude that it would most likely be one of these situations.Also, this is kind of off topic, but Gringotts accounts confuse me. In the very beginning, Harry needed a key to get to his vault. However, in many other books, (for example, in HBP, Bill gets money out of Harry's vault for him) this seems not to be an issue, since other people get Harry money from his vault without him ever giving them a key or without them having a copy of it. And I guess that these vaults don't have names under them, because, as Karma said, Sirius used money from his vault, and I'm assuming that if Gringotts realized that money was being taken out of a vault owned by a convicted murderer, they would be slightly suspicious. 
Remember also that Dumbledore still had his wand after going to Azkaban. Also, with Sirius, I think Olivander was part of the Order, and probably made Sirius a new wand. And when Voldemort kidnapped Olivander, he probably stole enough wands for all the Death Eaters.
The key issue is interesting. Maybe it was assumed Harry sent them the key? As far as not having a name to the vault, I have a feeling goblins aren't very concerned with who they're keeping the money for. Goblins don't seem to care much about wizards, so a wanted wizard having money there wouldn't be a big deal, I don't think. And even if they did care, I don't think it's in them to keep someone from what is rightfully theirs. They seem mostly honorable in that fashion, which is why they're such good bank keepers.
And with the wands, again I just get the feeling that they're more dear to people, so they wouldn't go around snapping them. I can't remember though, was it ever mentioned about anyone else's wand being snapped? Cuz again, it could be Hagrid being a half-giant, so they thought the wand 'tainted' or some such silly thing, and didn't regularly snap wands. It would make sense for those improsoned for life though, so idk.
Yeah, goblins are very different than wizards, I didn't really think about that... and I know for certain that your wand is snapped if you are expelled from Hogwarts. I'm assuming they do this because since you haven't received a proper education and you are no longer allowed to receive one, you cannot continue to be a wizard, since you would mostly be a threat to the community. Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts in his third year. However, I don't know if your wand would be snapped if you dropped out, because when Fred and George did it, and when Hermione, Harry, and Ron did it, the Ministry was askew and nothing was really getting done. I don't know how it would be under normal circumstances, though.
Jaime Jo Brown wroteI doubt they would snap the wands of the prisoners. I could be wrong, but not everyone is in there for life, right? Hagrid was there for a pretty brief period, and had he had a wand to snap, and they had in fact snapped it, it would have been pretty embarrassing for the ministry to have to explain it upon his release. Now, this raises the question of why Hagrid's wand was snapped without him going to prison, but in all honesty that could have had to do with him being a part giant. We've seen how bigoted wizards can be. So I'd guess they kept the wands somewhere, and upon escape, the prisoners retrieved them, seeing as the dementors were on their side and all. From back when Hagrid was a student, remember he only got expelled for opening the Chamber of Secrets;"Following his expulsion, the Ministry of Magic forbade Hagrid from practising magic and destroyed his wand. The then Transfiguration teacher Albus Dumbledore, who was convinced Hagrid was innocent, nonetheless convinced then Headmaster Armando Dippet, to give Hagrid the job of Gamekeeper and allow him to remain a resident of the school. Hagrid continued to do magic using his pink umbrella, which most likely contained the broken fragments of his wand, or perhaps even his entire wand intact, reconstructed for him by Dumbledore using the Elder Wand."Then when Hagrid was sent to Azkaban when the Chamber was re-opened, they wouldnt have been able to locate his wand, as they would have believed it was destroyed - all they would have seen was a harmless pink umbrella! 
And this is from the Harry Potter Wiki;"Sirius presumably lost his wand when he went to Azkaban. It is unknown how, or if, he retrieved it, because he could have had another one given to him after his escape. However, any member of the Order of the Phoenix who worked at the Ministry, such as Kingsley Shacklebolt, could have retrieved his original wand for him." 
Yeah
We know that Bellatrix had her original wand because Ollivander recognized it.
I'm guessing Kingsley or Dumbledore helped him a bit. Or, he could've won a wand somehow...
Nayelle Antlers wroteJaime Jo Brown wrote Now, this raises the question of why Hagrid's wand was snapped without him going to prison, but in all honesty that could have had to do with him being a part giant. It's said in the Order of the Phoenix that wands are snapped if someone gets excluded from Hogwarts in the letter Harry receives after using the patronum charm to protect Dudley from dementors. The severity of this breach of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery has resulted in your exclusion from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Ministry representatives will be calling at your place of residence shortly to destroy your wand.
Yes, we know he had to have had a wand because he was dueling with Bellatrix before she died... Does anyone remember that he had a wand in Prisoner of Azkaban? Because I could've sworn I saw him threatening Peter Pettigrew with it...
I presume that he didn't get his wand back, and is essentially borrowing someone else's wand.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!