Percy Weasley, good or bad?

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/320/f/6/mr__percy_weasley_by_puccini-d330n0b.png">Sorry to put it this way... I know that is not a white-black discussion, but seems attractive to give it this title.I am almost embarrassed to say that I was quite a fan of Percy Weasley until the 3rd book, where I changed my preferences towards the twins (quite a change, hum?). However, I was quite astonished in book five when Percy disowns his family.Sometimes I wonder about him being a Gryffindor... but since I start the discussion about Zacharias Smith in Hufflepuff, I do not dealt with that issue anymore, but you can share your thoughts about it.When I was young I usually imagined him as a male and less elaborate version of Hermione Granger, but all that thoughts were killed in the fifth book. What did Rowling thought when she created and developed a character like Percy?
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/320/f/6/mr__percy_weasley_by_puccini-d330n0b.png">Sorry to put it this way... I know that is not a white-black discussion, but seems attractive to give it this title.I am almost embarrassed to say that I was quite a fan of Percy Weasley until the 3rd book, where I changed my preferences towards the twins (quite a change, hum?). However, I was quite astonished in book five when Percy disowns his family.Sometimes I wonder about him being a Gryffindor... but since I start the discussion about Zacharias Smith in Hufflepuff, I do not dealt with that issue anymore, but you can share your thoughts about it.When I was young I usually imagined him as a male and less elaborate version of Hermione Granger, but all that thoughts were killed in the fifth book. What did Rowling thought when she created and developed a character like Percy?
"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."I think this is the best way to summarize Percy. He isn't inherently bad and he has his heart in the right place most of the series. Unfortunately he got his priorities messed up and his career ambitions won over his loyalty to his family. I am quite glad that he was redeemed and figured out what truly mattered before it was too late, but I do not think he was a bad person.Like you, I was quite fond of him until he turned on his family. I'm very similar to Percy in many ways including rule-follower, goodie-two-shoes and prideful. I think his pride got the best of him.
Oh thanl god I wasn't the only one!! Between my 9-13 years Percy was really my icon, along with Hermione. I respected him, exactly because he was a rule-follower :)He just lost the right track, he was blinded by a thrist of ambition... don't you find strange how he differs from all his brothers? Why do you think he does? Was he tryng to escape from the proverty of his family? Does that justifies his actions? Was he ashamed of where he came from?
I think, like Ron, he had the ambition to stick out from his family. In the Chamber of Secrets, Lucius is quite curt in his confrontation with Ginny when he says, "Let me see. Red hair... vacant expressions... tatty second hand book... you must be the Weasleys." This shows that the family members aren't seen as individuals within the wizarding world outside of their circle of friends. There was no Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron and Ginny. It was just "The Weasley's." I believe this is why Bill left to become a Curse-Breaker and why Charlie left to study dragons. Each child had their strength that they used to escape from their family identity and make a name for themselves. The twins had politics and Ron had the trio, then becoming an Auror. Ginny became a quidditch player. Percy's strength was politics. He thrived in the ministry and it was the only way he knew to make himself known.The Weasley's are a quite ambitious lot and honestly I think Percy would have been perfectly justified in Slytherin or Ravenclaw. He's a smart kid with high standards and he just let those ambitions overshadow what was truely important.
I think Percy probably felt a little bit ostracised from the family anyway, because he seemed to have a completely different sense of fun to the rest of them and often ended up as the butt of the jokes (especially the twins'). And obviously he was 18-19 and probably fed up with having no money, and he was ambitious, too. So the betrayal might not be justifiable, exactly, but I definitely think it's understandable.As for his house, I think it would have been interesting to see him in a different house, but then from a narrative point of view I think he needed to be a Gryffindor, if that makes sense?
well i always thought he was a jerk xD i mean what guy sells out his family? and you could tell he was always a self righteous know it all by the way he flounce around as a prefect and then as fudge's right hand man. lol wow i didnt mean this to sound so aggressive xP i agree with how he prolly felt ostracized and wanted to make his own way. but he'll always be a bit of a jerk to mehe couldve been in slytherin but didnt the house not accept people of "bloodtraitor" families?
actually i take that back. he wouldnt have been in slytherin. i think there was always a bit of a moral code of honor that existed within percy that is a distinctive gryffindor trait. he wouldnt have tricked or lied his way into power like a slytherin might, if he was going to get anywhere it'd be through hard work and sense of him doing something right, something honorable.
I think the Hat could have put him into Slytherin despite the blood-traitor thing (I think JKR said in an interview once that there were Muggle-born Slytherins, so I don't think status would stop you being Sorted there), but he'd definitely have a hard time there. It's an interesting point about the honour though, I'd never thought about it like that!He was definitely self-righteous and irritating (and completely unbearable in ootp omg), but he'd spent a whole year with Mr Crouch as his idol, and he got his own son sent to Azkaban, so I think he was being influenced there too? Idk, he'll never be my favourite and he's definitely done some questionable stuff but I have a lot of sympathy for him haha. 
I think he would have done better in Ravenclaw than Slytherin. 
The house he definitely would not be in is Hufflepuff. The day Percy got sorted into Hufflepuff is the day pigs fly.Seriously, he would be Gryff or Raven.Like you, Ken Remmy, I think he would of not lasted long as a snake.
I've always thought of him as a good role model for any of the Weasley children, since he follows the rules and doesn't ever think to break any rules or do anything that Ron, Harry, and Hermione would think of. Towards the fifth book his ambition gets really clear, and then it's like, a bomb explodes. He doesn't want his family. I just simply think he's too ambitious for his own good.I also think he's actually a good guy - just a bit messed up in the head. He redeemed himself worthy in my eyes in the seventh book, when he actually cried for Fred at Fred's death. That moment made me cry, and Percy's genuine grief added to my own grief.
I think back. Family v.s your job- family should always win, right? Well, if you have a good family, and percy has a great one. He just throws away his family for a job that is turning into a career with ethics that he has been raised to believe are wrong. But he chooses it anyway, despite that fact that he's breaking his family's heart. So bad, definatly bad
I think if he hadn't been a Weasley, he would have maybe been in Ravenclaw but all the Weasleys are in Gryffindor and so that's where Percy went as well. I don't think he was selfish at all for taking the job at the Ministry. He was completely different to the rest of the Weasleys (preferring books over jokes, quidditch and fun - which is completely fine) and he was teased over it, mostly by the twins. I mean, he was Head Boy which is a huge achievement and all the twins did was make jokes (which I'm sure the rest of the family, or at least Ron and Ginny, would have laughed at). I love the twins so I'm not being mean about them or anything, but they weren't happy that their brother had been chosen as Head Boy. He must have been so pleased, so proud and they treated it as nothing more than a joke. Also, I think Percy was a bit like Ron in that he wanted to stand out, to be someone - specifically PERCY WEASLEY not just ONE OF THE WEASLEYS. Then he was offered a really great job at the Ministry of Magic, the ministers right hand man. He was being told, basically, that he was better than all the other people there. He actually was someone - and not just anyone, he was someone important. Who would turn it down? I don't think he meant to hurt his family per se, he just wanted to be someone in the world.I also think one of the problems was that the Weasley family was poor. Very poor. And of course there's nothing wrong with being poor, and it's not their fault and Arthur worked hard to provide for them but still that's their circumstances. I believe in the book (but correct me if I'm wrong), Ron got Scabbers the rat because Percy got a new owl as a reward for becoming Head Boy, or some such thing. He only got a new pet because he did achieved this really great thing, while a lot of other people he went to school with and knew would have probably only had to save up for a couple of months to afford one. I assume that to mean he wouldn't get nice new things like that on an ordinary day - he most likely got hand me downs and second hand stuff like the other Weasleys. Hagrid bought Harry an owl for his birthday and I don't think Hagrid earns much, right (although I suppose he may have savings as he eats meals at Hogwarts and presumably lives rent free)? So it goes to show just how little money, and therefore new things, the Weasleys had. Percy gets offered this job that has the potential to lift him from poverty. He could buy NEW clothes, NEW shoes, live in a big house, have an owl and all the other things he wants. I don't know about you guys but if I were in that situation I'd probably jump at the offer.So I don't think Percy was being deliberately horrible when he turned away from his family. He was just putting himself first when all his life he was just one of many and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And, at the end of the day, he put things right. He came back. He chose his family in the end. It doesn't matter what choices we make in the past, as long as we make the right ones in the future.
I am one Order of Phoenix now.... Percy turns his back on them. I would say he could be a Slytherin. Especially believing in Daily Prophet. I had liked him at first but then started favoring Fred and George. I still just can't believe he did that. All the things he said to his father...

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!