How I Got My Wand!

The day that my wand chose me was one of the most exciting days of my life. Since I come from a Muggle born family, we made the long journey to Ollivander's, in Diagon Alley to select a wand. My entire family accompanied me to London, to purchase my school supplies just days before I was to travel to Hogwarts. (Plane tickets from Canada are expensive, so we had time to only make one trip) At Ollivander's, I was lucky enough to find a wand on only my third try. When I picked up the wand that was meant for me, I felt a surge of warmth shoot down my wand arm, and a chorus of bells began to sound in the room around me. The wand that had selected me was an 11 inch, Black Walnut wand, which was reasonably supple and contained the core of a unicorn. Since wand lengths vary from 9 to 14 inches, my wand sits right in the middle. While I am of reasonably short stature, the normal length of wand indicated that I was a well-rounded person. The black walnut is not as common as the walnut wand, and Ollivander warned me that the wood is incredibly attuned to inner conflict. I feel as though I am a fairly self-aware person, can't really lie to myself, so I wasn't too worried about this small quirk in the wood. It is supposed to be a loyal and impressive wand with a flair for charm work, which made me excited as Charms class was the one I was looking forward to the most!The unicorn hair in my wand is considered to be the most faithful of all the cores. While it doesn't produce the strongest magic, the black walnut wood makes up for that! I just need to be careful that I don't wear the hair out! In addition with it being reasonably supple, it indicates that I can change. HA, maybe the wand knows something I do not because I hate change!I only had a week to practice with my wand before getting on the train to Hogwarts but so far it has served me well. I hope that with a lot of practice, I can someday be as good as Hermione Granger!
The day that my wand chose me was one of the most exciting days of my life. Since I come from a Muggle born family, we made the long journey to Ollivander's, in Diagon Alley to select a wand. My entire family accompanied me to London, to purchase my school supplies just days before I was to travel to Hogwarts. (Plane tickets from Canada are expensive, so we had time to only make one trip) At Ollivander's, I was lucky enough to find a wand on only my third try. When I picked up the wand that was meant for me, I felt a surge of warmth shoot down my wand arm, and a chorus of bells began to sound in the room around me. The wand that had selected me was an 11 inch, Black Walnut wand, which was reasonably supple and contained the core of a unicorn. Since wand lengths vary from 9 to 14 inches, my wand sits right in the middle. While I am of reasonably short stature, the normal length of wand indicated that I was a well-rounded person. The black walnut is not as common as the walnut wand, and Ollivander warned me that the wood is incredibly attuned to inner conflict. I feel as though I am a fairly self-aware person, can't really lie to myself, so I wasn't too worried about this small quirk in the wood. It is supposed to be a loyal and impressive wand with a flair for charm work, which made me excited as Charms class was the one I was looking forward to the most!The unicorn hair in my wand is considered to be the most faithful of all the cores. While it doesn't produce the strongest magic, the black walnut wood makes up for that! I just need to be careful that I don't wear the hair out! In addition with it being reasonably supple, it indicates that I can change. HA, maybe the wand knows something I do not because I hate change!I only had a week to practice with my wand before getting on the train to Hogwarts but so far it has served me well. I hope that with a lot of practice, I can someday be as good as Hermione Granger!
Hello Maggie! I really liked your story on how you received your wand.  I enjoyed reading about how it felt when you finally held it for the first time. It's so cool you got a Unicorn core, I also have one of those! 
It's so great to know that I wasn't the only Muggleborn to have such a great experience in Diagon Alley, and Ollivander's shop. I love the way you describe the feeling you got when you held your wand - I felt similar too! Maybe it's a Muggleborn thing!

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!